Monday, June 28, 2010

Halloween Rhyme Invitations

César Aira, Ema, the prisoner

I finally got to read a little 'me what happened, following the suggestions of pleasure and chance. I started with a book that I kept there for a while ', Ema, the prisoner César Aira, original edition of 1981, published by Basic Books in 1991 Bollati. Since I had never heard of the author, I did a little research and I found this Argentine writer, born in 1949 in Coronel Pringles in the province of Buenos Aires, is extremely prolific (more than fifty books published novels, short stories and essays ), and has a great influence on the literary scene in his country. In Italy, in addition to this book, I found How I became a nun, that when it came out (2007) had some reviews that I vaguely remember, and The Wizard, both released by Feltrinelli. This novel is truly unique. Fascinating, draws the reader to pages and pages before you start to realize that something is wrong. Set in the nineteenth century, tells of a group of soldiers and forced to travel for months at a location along the border, far away and very remote, the same that Pringles, tried on a map, is not far away in Buenos Aires. The first part is about a French engineer who then disappears, and the second Ema becomes the protagonist of the title. The military is especially of drunkards bottomless, and even violent convicts carrying on carts, not to mention the women getting pregnant and treated worse than rags for shoes. Around whites move the Indians gradually become more important and present, who are one of the most fantastic inventions of the novel: una specie di popolo di dandy, che pensano tutto il tempo all'eleganza, a dipingersi il corpo e i capelli, a bere di tutto, a fare il bagno, a osservare un'etichetta rigida, a fare gite senza motivo in posti strani, a accoppiarsi, suonare e farsi ammirare. Sia gli indiani che il misterioso colonnello Espina del forte di Pringles battono moneta con cui cercano di invadere le nebbiose lontananze in cui vivono. Ema poi è una specie di albero, di pesce guizzante, che sopravvive a tutte le trasformazioni cui la vita la costringe sposandosi a caso con chiunque incontri e accumulando bambini finché alla fine mette su un allevamento di fagiani destinato a diventare un grande business. Il punto che per me è stato fondamentale, dove ho capito che dovevo abbandonare need to know if the stories Aira told me they had a claim to realism or fantasy were dropped from the likelihood, by logic, even the narrative coherence, is the meeting of the troops on the march with pack of sea lions: Call les chiennes and described as skeletal and elegant greyhounds, with long queues and no ears, long legs and awkward gait, well, 'I was forced to go to see pictures of google to confirm that the seals are all different, similar only to seals which are close relatives. And Aira, seraphic, is said to Lieutenant Lavalle: 'm pretty decorative, no doubt. You will not believe, but belong to the same family delle foche. Non ha visto che non hanno le orecchie? Una simile spudorata indipendenza dalla realtà e questo abbandono all'immaginazione, fantastico e attraente nelle descrizioni dei paesaggi, delle persone, delle ragioni irragionevoli delle azioni, funziona meno bene nei dialoghi che sovente sono tentati dall'elucubrazione filosofica e dalla frase a effetto con risultati piuttosto noiosi, oppure sono io che sono pochissimo propensa alle idee astratte e non ho avuto la pazienza di cercare un significato là dove apparentemente non ce n'è.
Bisogna sicuramente avere voglia di abbandonarsi all'immaginazione, alla sospensione dell'incredulità , essere ben disposti a lasciarsi stupire, ma questo è un romanzo (benissimo translated by Angelo Morino, no less) that can fascinate and above is different, very different from the usual soup that provides publishing. I'm not saying that I would like every day but well worth the effort of inoltrarvisi, as in a very foreign and alien land but rich in exotic attractions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment